OMAR THOMPSON HOUSE

200 Church Street

c. 1901 – Colonial Revival  (Site of Romeo Branch of University of Michigan)

The largest branch of the University of Michigan was located on this site from 1843·1851. It was a flourishing institution of 150 students and four instructors with “a Female De­partment … connected with the Institute, in a separate room,” and $500 worth of scientific equipment including “a fine Achromatic telescope capable of showing clearly Jupiter’s moons and belts, and Saturn’s rings and satellites.” Until recently the University Elm stood where the sidewalk jogs. In 1901 the university buildings were demolished and the present Colonial Revival residence was contructed by Romeo Builder Benjamin Lloyd for Mr. and Mrs. Thompson Jr. Mrs. Thompson was related to the wealthy Detroit and Chicago Newberry families and inherited enough wealth from her great unde, Walt Newberry of Chicago, “wealth enough to make her comfortable for life.” ($23,000) The finest materials were poured into this spacious and well-built house including golden oak for the enormous staircase. solid cherry woodwork for the master bedroom, leaded glass. windows and brass lighting fixtures for the formal rooms of the house. In 1904,  an “automobile house” was constructed behind the residence to shelter Mrs. Thompson’s ”Cadillac automobile” which “she handles . . .like an expert.”

JOHN G. STRANAHAN HOUSE

188 Church Street

c. 1869 – Late Greek Revival

This late Greek Revival residence was constructed in 1869 for John G. Stranahan (1869-1881) at a cost of $2,000. In February 1888, Dr. Robert L. Parkin (1860-1912) an “educated veterinary surgeon from Brooklyn, Long Island” who later became a medical doctor, purchased the home. Mrs. Parkin (1865-1930) was an older sister of Mrs. Omar Thompson, Jr. and showed great concern over the extravagant style of life her younger sister followed. The home was remodeled following the design of local architect Jack Burns in the late 1960s.

PROF. RUFUS NUTTING HOUSE

247 North Fremont Street

c. 1844 – Greek Revival

Professor Rufus Nut­ting arrived in Romeo in 1841 and with hi:; “estimable wife and daughter Miss Marcia” directed the Romeo Academy until J843 when he helped establish the University of Michigan branch and served as its headmaster until 1847. This fine Greek Revival residence placed proudly on its miniature acropolis may have been built c. 1844 by Nutting. According to tradition the residence has always been painted brown, “a quiet, agreeable color,” that was becoming popular in the East at this time. Supposedly, melo­deons were made in the home by Rufus Nutting II during hie period of ownership (1846-1851). Rev. Dr. Philo Hurd, Congregational minister and a “stationmaster” in Michigan’s underground railway acquired the residence in the 1850s and presumably opened his home to fugitive slaves bound for Canada. John M. Potter, (1839-1894), “a pleasant, obliging and capable salesman” purchased the residence in the early 1870s. In November, 1875 Dr. John B. Fares, {1830-1898), a native of Wainfleet, Ontario and graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago “removed his resi­dence to the brown house on Church Street” and purchased the home in 1878. His family has re­tained ownership of the home ever since.

S. F. KEZAR HOUSE

180 Church Street

c. 1894 – Queen Anne

S.F. Kezar, (1829·1898), a native of Turner, Maine, had this late Queen Anne residence constructed in 1894. In typical Maine tradition, Mr. Kezar had the barn directly connected to the home. After Mr. Kezar’s death his ·wife and daughter moved to San Francisco where they acquired a considerable inheritance from Mrs. Kezar’s brother and donated the Kezar Sports Stadium in that city and the Kezar Memorial Library in Romeo . The present classical porch on the Kezar residence was added by the Levant Bedell family c. 1911.

GEORGE WASHER HOUSE

129 Church Street

c. 1895 – Queen Anne

A well designed Queen Anne cottage that was constructed by Albert Kennedy in 1895 for George Washer, popular Romeo harness maker at the turn of the century once sat on this site. The home was severely damaged in an explosion in 2018 and demolished. We included this entry as a reminder to cherish everything you see today.

129 Church Street
129 Church Street