246 North Bailey Street
c. 1868 – Late Greek Revival (with Queen Anne Porch)
Self-guided tours of historic Romeo, Michigan–using your smartphone
246 North Bailey Street
c. 1868 – Late Greek Revival (with Queen Anne Porch)
141 Dickenson Street
c. 1865 – Italianate
300 North Bailey Street
c. 1869 – Late Greek Revival
Captain Milton Thompson built this late Greek Revival residence in 1869 at a cost of $2,000. Thompson owned a wagon shop and an interest in a blacksmith and foundry. In March, 1873, the home was sold to Tsaac Jud son for $3,000. In January of 1884, Wallace West· brook acquired the residence for $1,650.
338 North Bailey Street
c. 1904 – Colonial Revival
372 North Bailey Street
c. 1836 – Early Greek Revival
Samuel Ewell (1779-1842) a native of Norwich, Massachusetts arrived in Romeo in the spring of 1836 and constructed this Greek Revival residence soon after. Ewelrs son Samuel Holbrook Ewell (1819-1907) poet, editor of the Romeo Argus, 1861·62, and later of The Romeo Observer, 1869-1874, and part-time his· torian, noted in his sketch of Romeo that a single lane which is now Bailey Street led up to the Ewell residence in 1837. This is probably the oldest residence in the village of Romeo today.
421 North Bailey Street
c. 1862 (Renovated 1878, 1898) – Second Empire
It was constructed soon after McGill purchased his lot from Edwin W. Giddings on May 9, 1862 for $196. On September 15, 1873 John H. Brabb (1820-1894) purchased the home for $1775. The Romeo Observer noted on November 13, 1878: “Mr. John Brabb is renovating his residence.” It is assumed that the mansard roof was added at this time. On December 6, 1889 the home was sold to Mr. Ira Bride, a Detroit race horse enthusiast and gambler. Bride stabled his prize horses in the barn across the road at the Fearnaught Riding Park (destroyed) and kept on his own lot a two-story doghouse (next house to the north) for his pet dogs. The dogs had the run of this house and lived a “plush life.” A mysterious fire damaged much of the interior of the residence during the mid-1890’s and on March 31, 1898 Mr. Bride sold his home to George T. Hartung for $500. Hartung rebuilt the home and added the present Queen Anne porch.
104 West Gates Street.
c. 1870 Victorian Gothic
“This is a very fine iooking house,” noted The Romeo Observer in January 1871, “and is pleasantly located as it commands a full of all the travel on one side of our most busy streets.” The cost was listed at $4,000 , including “improvements on the lot.” A smaller version of the Rowley-Gray residence on Church Street, the Tackels home has the same prolific brackets, a similar floor plan, but a more simplified window treatment. The porch is a c. 1900 replacement.Charles Tackels (1827-1906), a native of the Romeo area, acquired wealth through partnership with his neighbor Harvey Mellen in timber lands, grain transactions and real estate investments. He also served as county treasurer from 1878-1882.
440 North Main Street
c. 1886 – Queen Anne
“A home that ought to satisfy the most fastidious” proclaimed The Romeo Observer in September 1887. Queen Anne in style, the builder, R. F. Odion, combined picturesque exterior details (gracefully turned porch supports, decorative Japanese roof gable and porch balustrades) with quality interior woodwork (solid butternut). Charles M. Tackels (1858-1929) the son of Charles Tackels was casher a! the First National Bank in Romeo.
419 North Main Street
c. 1856 – Greek Revival
Alvan B. Ayer (1809-1883) a native of York County, Maine settled in Romeo in 1854 wealthy from his extensive investments in Maine and Michigan timber lands. In July 1855, he purchased a lot for $475 and had constructed one of the finest late Greek Revival residences in the county. Only the porches have been slightly altered and the fencing removed since the 1859 sketch of this residence with its pleasant “salt box” carriage house.
Elizabeth Cody Stanton, the famous nineteenth century suffragette, was a house guest of the Ayer family in January, 1871. The Romeo Observer noted that Mrs. Stanton “on Saturday evening … gave a free lecture to the ladies, the large hall (Gray’s Opera House) being well filled not withstanding the inclement state of the weather. She remained over the Sabbath, a guest at Mr. Alvan B. Ayer’s and attended services at the Congregational Church and left early Monday morning for Lansing … ”
418 North Main Street
c. 1859 – Greek Revival
You cannot copy content of this page