PROF. RUFUS NUTTING HOUSE

247 North Fremont Street

c. 1844 – Greek Revival

Professor Rufus Nut­ting arrived in Romeo in 1841 and with hi:; “estimable wife and daughter Miss Marcia” directed the Romeo Academy until J843 when he helped establish the University of Michigan branch and served as its headmaster until 1847. This fine Greek Revival residence placed proudly on its miniature acropolis may have been built c. 1844 by Nutting. According to tradition the residence has always been painted brown, “a quiet, agreeable color,” that was becoming popular in the East at this time. Supposedly, melo­deons were made in the home by Rufus Nutting II during hie period of ownership (1846-1851). Rev. Dr. Philo Hurd, Congregational minister and a “stationmaster” in Michigan’s underground railway acquired the residence in the 1850s and presumably opened his home to fugitive slaves bound for Canada. John M. Potter, (1839-1894), “a pleasant, obliging and capable salesman” purchased the residence in the early 1870s. In November, 1875 Dr. John B. Fares, {1830-1898), a native of Wainfleet, Ontario and graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago “removed his resi­dence to the brown house on Church Street” and purchased the home in 1878. His family has re­tained ownership of the home ever since.

S. F. KEZAR HOUSE

180 Church Street

c. 1894 – Queen Anne

S.F. Kezar, (1829·1898), a native of Turner, Maine, had this late Queen Anne residence constructed in 1894. In typical Maine tradition, Mr. Kezar had the barn directly connected to the home. After Mr. Kezar’s death his ·wife and daughter moved to San Francisco where they acquired a considerable inheritance from Mrs. Kezar’s brother and donated the Kezar Sports Stadium in that city and the Kezar Memorial Library in Romeo . The present classical porch on the Kezar residence was added by the Levant Bedell family c. 1911.

GEORGE WASHER HOUSE

129 Church Street

c. 1895 – Queen Anne

A well designed Queen Anne cottage that was constructed by Albert Kennedy in 1895 for George Washer, popular Romeo harness maker at the turn of the century once sat on this site. The home was severely damaged in an explosion in 2018 and demolished. We included this entry as a reminder to cherish everything you see today.

129 Church Street
129 Church Street